New Six channel stepper motor controller module
Trinamic’s New Six channel stepper motor controller module offers improved precision and performance
Featuring SixPoint™ ramping profiles and multiple encoder inputs, the TMCM-6214 6-axis motor controller/driver board for 2-phase stepper motors simplifies the design of robots, industrial automation, and other advanced multi-axis motion control systems.
TRINAMIC Motion Control GmbH & Co. KG announces the TMCM-6214, a highly integrated module capable of driving up to six two-phase stepper motors, drawing up to 1.9A RMS each at supply voltages of up to +24V. Thanks to its three integrated encoder inputs for incremental A/B/N encoders, it can support high-precision position feedback for three of its six motors, making it ideal for multi-axis applications in laboratory and factory automation, life science, robotics, test and measurement, and applications handling precious goods and liquids.
“By monitoring the motor and relaying feedback back to the operator, our customers can closely track performance of their applications. Making it easy for our customers to use these features allows them to implement a wide variety of applications. The controller's position feedback capabilities, for example, can be used to implement predictive maintenance functions, which can dramatically reduce equipment downtime while increasing its overall lifespan,” states Michael Rand, Founder and CEO of Trinamic.
The TMCM-6214’s advanced features allow engineers to add an extra layer of reliability to their applications, while ensuring the best performance possible throughout its extended life span. The controller also incorporates Trinamic's industry-exclusive DcStep™ function that enables the stepper motor to mimic the characteristics of a DC motor by delivering higher torque at lower speeds. Similarly, Trinamic's unique SixPoint™ ramping profiles allow developers to create complex acceleration/deceleration profiles that are precisely tailored to their application's requirements.
To increase ease of integration, the TMCM-6214 is available in two versions. The first version supports Trinamic's TMCL™ motion control command language1. Full remote control of the device with feedback is possible and the module's TMCL™ firmware can be updated via any of the serial interfaces. As an alternative to the TMCL version, the TMCM-6214 also comes with firmware that supports the industry standard CANopen communication protocol2.The module supports CAN, RS485, RS232 and USB interfaces for communications.
Both versions of the controller module are equipped with six general purpose digital inputs and two analog inputs. The modules also have eight protected general purpose outputs that can be used for diagnostics. An integrated power supply switch is available together along with two hardware torque off inputs. The controllers' powerful, integrated processor helps minimize communication traffic by performing all time-critical operations, such as ramp calculation, on-board without the assistance of an external host.
Both versions of the TMCM-6214 will be available through Trinamic's normal distribution channels at the end of May.
Features & Benefits
- 6-axis controller/driver for 2-phase bipolar stepper motors
- Linear and SixPoint™ ramps
- +9V to 30V DC supply voltage
- Up to 1.9A RMS motor current
- RS485, CAN, RS232 & USB interfaces
- 3x A/B/N encoder inputs
- Multi-purpose inputs and outputs (protected)
- Hardware torque off with integrated power switch for the driver supply
- On-board voltage regulators (+5V and +3V3) for supply of all on-board digital circuits.
- TMCL™, aka the Trinamic Motion Control Language – is a programming language dedicated to motion control applications. TMCL™ includes commands for moving one or more motor axes at certain velocities or to certain positions, and for setting all relevant motion controller parameters. TMCL™ also provides access to additional general-purpose digital and analog inputs and outputs. TMCL™ is available on most Trinamic modules with an integrated motion controller.
- CANopen is a communication protocol and device profile specification for embedded systems used in automation. In terms of the OSI model, CANopen implements the layers above and including the network layer. The CANopen standard consists of an addressing scheme, several small communication protocols, and an application layer defined by a device profile.